Yes, that’s what they are: fresh jalapeños coaxed to sweetness in a sugar syrup. First discovered by my food-loving sister while on holiday in the U.S. south. “You MUST make these,” she said to me. “People will go crazy for them!” And she was right.
My household is forever finding new ways to enjoy these sweet-hot little babies…
* Serve them with your cheese tray…or pop a few Candied Jalapeños into a “Dirty Martini.”
* Toss a few into your taco, meatloaf, into your tourtiere mix, even. Throw a bunch into your chili pot!
* Add Candied Jalapeños to a pizza, either homemade or take-out.
Great for Barbecue Season
* Perk up your burger with a few Candied Jalapeños…or your roast beef sandwich
* Barbeque sauce a little bland? You now know how to fix that.
* Mince a couple of Candied Jalapeños and add them to potato salad (along with a little syrup from the jar).
* Top your devilled egg with a Candied Jalapeño- it’s the bomb!
Save That Syrup!
And when there are no Candied Jalapeños left in the jar, save the syrup to brush on chicken breasts, pork loin, or ribs before grilling. Or add some to a marinade. Doesn’t make the meat hot – just provides delectable flavour.